Wednesday, May 21, 2008
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Saturday, May 10, 2008
At work today, I was able to witness something that the average person will never be able to see. I saw, laid out in front of me, a skeleton of a person who had lived 5200 years ago! A man who teaches anatomy at Berkeley was kind enough to share the story of the person laid out before us:
As most of you know, I travel at least twice a week to various cities in the US. The last time I was in San Francisco, a kiosk caught my attention so I grabbed a pamphlet. Apparently airports are adopting a new VIP-identification line, by a company called Clear. To any avid traveler this may seem appealing to not have to wait in line….Sorta like the club. We’re not going if we have to stand in line. Lol The catch? (There’s always a catch.) You must go through two main procedures:
1.You have your fingerprints taken. No biggie. We all, or most of us, have to get our fingerprints taken at some point. 2. You must have your irises scanned. If you’ve seen Bourne Identity and/or that YouTube video featuring the family from Florida who had a travel identification chip implanted into their bodies then you’re more than likely having the same reaction I had. “Huh???”
At the risk of sounding old skool, I think “Fine. New technology. New procedures.” Most of you already know I LOVE new technology. But hold on…scanning my irises?? No thank you. Besides…the ClearCard does not skip you through security. It simply gets you to security. Last I checked you get to skip to security when you make it to Elite WorldPerks status. Shoooot. I think I’ll wait. I’m almost there anyway. ;) WAY better than letting people have pictures of the inside of my eyeballs.
Friday, May 09, 2008
SO.....my sisters and a couple friends came to visit this week, and we all went to see Dolly Parton in concert. Yes...the country singer. Yeah, she's the one with the boobs. Yep, blonde hair. And lovely enough, her new album is called "Backwoods Barbie".
- Dolly had 26 #1 singles
- She's had 42 top-10 country albums. Let me say that again.....42 top-10 ALBUMS. What!?!
- Dolly has published almost 600 songs with BMI and has earned 37 BMI awards for her material.
- Rumor has it that she made $6 million off Whitney Houston's cover version of "I Will Always Love You", a song Dolly wrote in 1974 and has all the publishing rights to!
- Dolly's been in movies, on TV shows, and owns her own theme park DollyWood.
- Inspiration Library is her international organization that gives books to children every month of their lives from the time they're born to the time they enter kindergarten.
- Dolly's estimated worth is between $300 million and $500 million.